Leprechaun1 Racial Class.
Leprechauns are wee folk who are found in fair, green lands and enjoy frolicking, working magic, and causing harmless mischief. They are typically observed at borderlines, such as dusk and dawn (neither all light nor all dark), the shore (neither all earth or all water), equinoxes and solstices (neither all of one season nor all of another), the treeline (neither all forest nor all field), and when rainbows are formed (neither all storm nor all sunny). Some break out of their comfort zone and try to learn more about their world, seek great treasures (such as gold, fine wine, and fine pipeweed), or seek opportunities to aid those weaker than themselves. Leprechauns are good choices for players who like to play mischievous characters and want some magic to carry out their plans.
Despite their size, full-grown leprechauns can be very dangerous. Their magical powers and high number of skill points and feats are responsible for their total ECL of 8, but their low hit dice are their greatest drawback. The class is built around scaling the spell-like abilities, and their greater invisibility isn’t introduced until 3rd level. At the highest level of the class are the most powerful spell-like abilities and spell resistance.Racial Traits:
- -6 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Cha. Leprechauns are physically weak but make up for it in other areas.
- As Tiny creatures, leprechauns gain a +2 size bonus to Armor Class, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +8 size bonus on Hide checks, but a -8 size penalty on grapple checks, they must use smaller weapons than Medium-size creatures do, and their lifting and carrying limits are one-half of those of Medium-size characters.
- Leprechaun land speed is 20 feet.
- Leprechauns can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Leprechauns have a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sleight of Hand checks.
- Common and Sylvan.
- Elven, Gnome, and Halfling.
- Leprechaun and sorcerer. A leprechaun’s leprechaun class level and sorcerer class level do not count when determining whether it takes an XP penalty for multiclassing.
- Leprechauns are proficient with all simple weapons and with the short sword, but not with armor or shields.
- A leprechaun receives one feat at 1st level and at every third HD after that (5th, 11th, and 17th levels). It gains Dodge as a bonus feat at 2nd level.
- Beginning at 2nd level, a leprechaun’s move speed increases to 25 feet (5 squares).
- A leprechaun can use the indicated spell-like abilities at the indicated frequency. It has a caster level equal to its character level.
- Beginning at 6th level, a leprechaun cannot be surprised.
- At 8th level, after granting three _limited wish_es to an intruder in its lair the leprechaun will flatter the intruder and declare that the three wishes were so well-phrased that it will give a fourth wish. If the fourth wish is pronounced, the leprechaun will cackle with glee, the results of all the wishes will be reversed, and the intruder plus his group will be _teleport_ed 2d20 miles away in a random direction. No member of that teleport will ever be able to locate that particular leprechaun again.
- Upon reaching 12th level, a leprechaun remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the leprechaun can suppress or resume it as a free action.
- At 16th level, a leprechaun has spell resistance equal to 13 + character levels.
Table CL-1: The Leprechaun
|Racial Level||Class Level||Special|
|1st||1st||Leprechaun base traits, Feat|
|2nd||1st||Dodge, celerity, spell-like abilities (invisibility (self only) 1/day, ventriloquism 1/day)|
|3rd||2nd||Spell-like abilities (invisibility (self only) 3/day, ventriloquism 3/day)|
|4th||2nd||Spell-like abilities (greater invisibility (self only) 1/day, permanent image 1/day), Int +2|
|6th||3rd||Awareness, spell-like abilities (invisibility (self only) at will, ventriloquism at will)|
|7th||4th||Ability score increase|
|8th||4th||Spell-like abilities (greater invisibility (self only) 3/day, permanent image 3/day, limited wish (in defense of lair only) 1/day, polymorph any object (non-living objects only) 1/day), last wish|
|10th||5th||Spell-like abilities (limited wish (in defense of lair only) 3/day, polymorph any object (non-living objects only) 3/day, Dex +2|
|12th||6th||Greater invisibility, spell-like abilities (permanent image at will), Int +2|
|14th||7th||Spell-like abilities (limited wish (in defense of lair only) at will, polymorph any object (non-living objects only) at will)|
|15th||8th||Ability score increase|
|20th||12th||Ability score increase, feat|
1 Scott Moore, Leylines: The Leprechaun
|campaign welcome||campaign description||campaign NPCs||frequently asked questions|
|character creation guidelines||campaign races and classes||campaign skills, feats, and character concepts||campaign spells and powers|